At Hyundai of Oakville, your privacy is important to us. You can learn more about how we take care of your information in the details below.
Effective Date of this policy 11/23/2018
WHY HOO COLLECTS AND USES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual, such as a name, address, telephone number, email address or payment information. We may collect your personal information in order to:
- Evaluate, with your consent as may be required by applicable law, your current and ongoing eligibility for financial products and services and creditworthiness, including by periodically obtaining credit reports from any credit reporting agency, credit bureau financial institutions, your past and present employers, creditors and landlords, and any references provided on your application;
- Open, administer, maintain, service, collect and enforce our agreements with you and to process payments, transactions, including end of lease administration, and any applications you make to us;
- Manage other products and services related to your agreements with us, such as credit insurance;
- If you have registered, allow you to access an online customer account (“Online Account”) which may allow you to access and in some cases, correct, certain information about your lease or financing product with us, which may include your:
- lease/financing information such as your payment amount, payment frequency and dates, interest rate, agreement period, payments made, payments remaining, maturity date, allowable kilometers, and transaction history;
- profile information such as your name, contact information, where you usually keep your vehicle (garaging address), and date of birth;
- banking information, including the details of the account you wish us to debit in respect of payments under your agreement with us;
- password; and
The Online Account may allow you to, in accordance with and subject to your agreement with us:
- View and change certain of your account information;
- Register your vehicle;
- Make one-time payments, and/or pay off your loan or financing agreement in accordance with its terms;
- Track the progress and status of your products (for example, the remaining time of your lease or loan, interest accrued, and payment status, including amounts overdue or delinquent);
- Obtain quotes from us; and
- Share documents with us.
- Investigate and adjudicate any dispute or claim which relates to our agreements with you and/or any other products or services provided in connection with those agreements;
- Register and enforce our title reservation and security interests;
- Otherwise collect amounts owing to HOO;
- Conduct audits of our business;
- Detect and prevent fraud;
- Verify your identity and match credit reports;
- Maintain business records and to provide you with customer service communications;
- Provide you with tailored marketing, product information and service offer(s) that may be of interest to you;
- Provide you with products and services you request; to respond to your comments or requests for information, ;
- Manage our business, including to meet legal, regulatory, risk management and security requirements;
- Carry out other purposes which are disclosed to you and to which you consent; and
- Other legitimate business interests or for other purposes as permitted or required by law.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION HOO COLLECTS
- Contact information to provide correspondence (e.g., promotions and brochures via mail, text, e-mail, phone or fax) such as full legal name, address, e-mail address and telephone number;
- Information that is required for you to register and log in for your Online Account, such as your payment amount, date of birth, postal code, , e-mail address, and vehicle identification number;
- Information about your financial and credit history including employment information, information establishing your identity (e.g. name, date of birth, and contact information), information related to your loan, lease or other credit product or other transactions with us, debt and income levels (including income of spouse or co-applicant, if applicable), current and past creditors, tenancy arrangements (including whether you own a house or rent, monthly mortgage or rental payment amounts, total mortgage amount, mortgage holder, market value of home), and insurance, banking or credit institutions you use or have used, and other information about your financial and credit history and worthiness;
- Other information you may provide on applications, conditional sales contracts, lease agreements, and other forms including length of time at current address, marital status, gender, driver’s license information, social insurance number (if provided), date of birth and information about the vehicle(s) you are leasing, financing, or purchasing;
- Banking information, including the name and contact information for your bank and your account number, in order to process pre-authorized payments;
- Information about transactions we conduct for or with you and services we provide or may provide to you;
- Information about or to assist with transactions you might conduct through us, including transactions that involve a third party such as the purchase of credit insurance;
- Information about your transactions with third parties such as the dealer from which you seek to buy or lease a vehicle for which you need financing;
- Information about your current and ongoing credit history from any credit reporting agency, credit bureau, financial institution, your past and present employers, creditors and landlords, and any references provided on your application;
- Information that may assist in expanding our business relationship, such as information related to your preferences, service needs and decision-making or about customer service inquiries and feedback; and,
- Other information with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS DISCLOSED
Affiliates for Administrative Purposes
We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates and dealers for internal audit, management, billing or administrative purposes, including defending and bringing legal actions and for purposes of administering your agreement with us. Our affiliates and dealers may also share personal information with us for this purpose. For example, we may share your personal information with affiliates and dealers for the purposes of:
- Evaluating your eligibility for and providing financial products and services to you;
- Monitoring and enforcing our agreements with you and providing ongoing service;
- Maintaining records for reasonable periods; and
- Managing, administering, collecting and enforcing accounts, collecting debts owed to us and processing payments.
We may also share personal information with our affiliated automotive manufacturers to provide you with warranty or other customer service communications and to advise you of any product recall or other customer notifications with respect to your vehicle.
Our affiliates include companies with a Hyundai or Kia name (except dealers); financial companies such as Hyundai Capital America; and nonfinancial companies such as Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and Kia Canada Inc.
Non-Affiliates for Administrative Purposes
Non-affiliates we share with can include credit reporting agencies, dealers, insurance companies, banks and other lenders. We share personal information with non-affiliates for the purposes of:
- Maintaining your credit history and obtaining credit reports from consumer credit reporting and collection agencies, bureaus, financial institutions or finance companies. For example, if you do not make your payments under your agreement with us, we may provide an adverse report to credit reporting agencies and bureaus and your credit rating may fall as a result;
- Meeting our legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements;
- To register and enforce our title reservation and security interests
- Manage other products and services related to our agreement with you that you have requested, such as credit insurance and underwriters of such insurance; and,
- Investigating and adjudicating any dispute or claim which relates to the agreement(s) we have with you, the products or services that we offer to you or that are provided by third parties in connection with our agreement with you, including defending and bringing legal actions.
Marketing – Sharing with Affiliates and Non-Affiliates
With your consent as may be required under the applicable law, we may share your contact information and information about our agreement with you with our affiliates, your dealer and the manufacturer of the vehicle forming the subject matter of our agreement with you (the “Manufacturer”), so that they may contact you with information about their products and services. If you do not want your personal information shared for these purposes, please contact our Privacy Officer as described in the “How To Contact Us” section below.
The personal information that you provide to HOO may be transferred to third party service providers who perform services on our behalf (including affiliates acting in this capacity). These services may include call center services, billing, marketing, information technology, data hosting and processing services. Our service providers may be located outside of Canada, including in the United States and South Korea. HOO may collect, use, disclose, store or process personal information on servers located in other jurisdictions, including the United States, for the purposes described within this Policy. Please note that the privacy laws in such jurisdictions differ from Canadian privacy laws. Reasonable contractual or other measures we may take to protect your personal information while processed or handled by these service providers are subject to applicable foreign legal requirements, including lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities and law enforcement in certain circumstances.
Disclosure Permitted or Required by Law
We may disclose your personal information as permitted or required by law, such as:
- to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process;
- to prevent or detect financial abuse, fraud, or criminal activity; or
- to protect our assets and business interests.
We may also disclose your personal information as necessary to meet legal, regulatory, industry self-regulatory, insurance, audit, and security requirements, or for any other purposes which are disclosed to you and to which you consent.
Normal Website Usage, Analytics, and Cookies
You can visit our Site to read about product, investment, and company information, or use some of our online tools (e.g., Which Vehicles Can I Afford? and Payment Estimator) without telling us who you are and without revealing any personal information. During these types of visits, we collect and store statistical information on an anonymous basis, such as the information about the time and length of your visit, the website you last visited, the pages you request, and the date and time of those requests. We may also collect and store the name of your Internet Service Provider.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs)
We may use clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs) to help us better manage content on the Site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.
We may also use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
- As is true of many websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
- We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the Site, to track users’ movements around the Site and to improve our Site usability.
- We do not link this automatically-collected data to personal information.
Do Not Track Signals
Our Site does not currently actively respond to "Do Not Track" browser signals or mechanisms.
HOO generally collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. Consent may be express or implied. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from your action or inaction. You may provide your consent in some circumstances where notice has been provided to you about our intentions with respect to your personal information and you have not withdrawn your consent for an identified purpose, such as by using an opt-out mechanism provided. Generally, by providing us with personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in this Policy or otherwise at the time of collection.
You may update or change your preferences about receiving our marketing materials at any time by contacting us as described in the “Accuracy and Updating of Personal Information” section below. To unsubscribe from any promotional email or text that we may send to you, please follow the unsubscribe instructions included in each such communication. Please be aware that, even if you have opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, we may still contact you for transactional purposes. Some examples are contacts for customer service, or reminder notices.
If you do not want us to share your information with our affiliates, your dealer or the Manufacturer for marketing purposes, please contact us as described in the “Accuracy and Updating of Personal Information” section below.
You can refuse to consent to our collection, use or disclosure of your personal information; however, we may then not be able to provide you with the products or services you request. Subject to legal and contractual restrictions, you may withdraw your consent to our further collection, use or disclosure of information at any time by giving us reasonable notice. However, you may not be permitted to withdraw your consent to certain necessary collections, uses and disclosures of your personal information (for example, but not limited to, maintaining reasonable business and transaction records and the ongoing disclosure of your personal information to consumer credit reporting agencies) and if you withdraw your consent to certain collections, uses and disclosures of your personal information necessary for our provision of financial products or services, we may no longer be able to provide you with those financial products or services.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
ACCURACY AND UPDATING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is as accurate and up-to-date as necessary for the purpose for which it is to be used. However, we also rely on you to tell us when your personal information changes. To update your address and other personal information, please contact us by:
Hyundai of Oakville
2500 South Service Road West,
Oakville, ON, L6L 5M9
HOW HOO SAFEGUARDS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Although we take measures to help protect personal information in our custody or control from unauthorized use, access, disclosure, misuse, alteration or destruction, no security measures can provide absolute protection. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you provide to us.
If you choose to complete and submit an Online Credit Application, or to access your Online Account Services through our Site, your personal information will be encrypted during transmission.
HOW TO ACCESS OR CORRECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may establish a file of your personal information for the purposes described above, which will be maintained on our servers or those of our service providers. If you wish to request access to or correction of your personal information that is in our custody or control, you may write to the address below, attention Privacy Officer. Your right to access or correct your personal information is subject to applicable legal restrictions. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections.
CHILDREN AND PARENTS
HOO does not knowingly collect personal information from children. If a child has already provided us with personal information, his or her parent or guardian may contact us for the purpose of asking us to delete this information.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITE